Reasons to be Grateful
Getting sober was a massive challenge for me as many of you probably know. I was afraid to admit I had a problem with alcohol, because by doing that I was effectively saying I was going to do something about it and I didn't know how. Back then I literally didn't see the point in a life without wine.
Fast forward four years and four months and I can tell you it's a different story now. I'm not saying getting here was easy, because as anyone who's ever been addicted to anything will tell you it’s not. Is it worth it? Yes! 100% and that is something I never thought I’d say.
Let me tell you why - in no particular order of greatness...
- No hangovers in the morning. I don’t miss that foggy headedness one little bit!
- No regrets about drinking the night before, because I haven’t!
- No worrying about whether I’ll be able to drink later, because I won’t.
- No random illnesses, worries about illnesses, or concerns about illnesses (all drink related).
- The ability to concentrate on something I'm reading or watching, to get to the end and generally be able to remember it in the morning.
- The freedom to be able to go out and drive my car whenever I want without even thinking about it. No matter how late it is!
- Keeping a level head in an argument, although arguments happen less often now anyway. I used to lose the plot a little, lose track of what the argument even was about and get muddled up. Now I can make my point and keep a clear head.
- I’m less likely to embarrass myself, either in public, or on social media.
- I don't panic in the morning and have to check my phone for things I've said or posted or sent that were supposed to be funny and weren't.
- I don't have to pretend to remember things I don't.
- I’m not constrained to what I can or can't do based on whether I'm planning to get home for a drink or not.
- I don't wake up in a panic in the morning. Okay this one is a lie; I sometimes do, but it's because of my anxiety, not because I've been drinking.
In general, everything is a little easier. I’m calmer, more balanced, more settled in my mind. I don't escalate quite like I used to. Life isn't such a challenge oh, and I'm not panicking over wine supplies or stock-piling during Lockdown. I honestly don't know how I would have managed!
All in all life without alcohol is a good place for me to be! Just remember the hard work pays off in the end, and by choosing not to drink, we really aren’t missing out on anything!
Much love as always.
Claire ❤ x